ENGLISH LITERATURE STUDY GUIDE: "On His Blindness" Sonnet by John Milton (1608-1674)

Search This Blog

15.6.11

"On His Blindness" Sonnet by John Milton (1608-1674)

John Milton is one of my most favourite poets. The poem “On His Blindness” written by John Milton is a famous autographical sonnet. It is one of most poems written by Milton. The sonnet reflects the poet’s agony on his becoming blind but it ends on a note of reconcilement. In this poem, poet’s whole hearted submission to God, his determination, devotion and noble thinking charm me a lot.
The poem may have been written as early as 1652 (some people consider in 1655).

On His Blindness (Sonnet 16)
                        -John Milton (1608-1674)

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Questions Answers on THE GIFT OF THE MAGI by O Henry

Questions Answers and Study Guide on THE GIFT OF THE MAGI by O Henry:- Question: What were the possessions of Dillingham youngs? How ...